Sunday, December 13, 2015

*** The post is about my favourite city in terms of  Drive, Design and Connectivity and I chose Ahmedabad. I would like to thank Tata Motors for having given me the opportunity to write about it. More can be found about them here ***

Even if I were in deep sleep and someone had asked me to name my favourite city, I would have answered Ahmedabad because the city continues to amaze me with its liveliness and beauty and also because of its people and their hospitality. My relationship with the city dates back to 2007. It was in June 2007 when I got my first job posting at Ahmedabad after completing my management studies and I lived in the city for a good four years before I got transferred to Delhi. But even then, whenever I got an opportunity, I kept going back to the city on travel missions to explore the city once again. My sojourn in Ahmedabad was lively and enjoyable - the city never failed to excite me. What I loved most about it is its modernity mixed with its peaceful atmosphere and serenity.

Ahmedabad is very well-planned and designed. It happens to be the largest city in Gujarat. In fact at one point in time, it used to be the biggest city in India in terms of area. The city has got a rich cultural history and derives its name from Ahmed Shah (who used to rule Gujarat during the Medieval times). Situated on the banks of River Sabarmati, Ahmedabad (or Amdavad as it is better known as) was founded in the 15th century. The city is also well-known for its association with Mahatma Gandhi and the Sabarmati Ashram.

I am sure anyone travelling to the city will be mesmerised by the unique Indo-Saracenic style of architecture (a blend of Hindu and Islamic styles) that adorns the monuments in the city. Some of them date back to the 15th century when the city was built.

The best thing about Ahmedabad is its vibrant nature, it would always be teeming with life and business activities. Known to be hard-working and possessing impeccable business acumen, the people of the city have contributed a lot in making the city a prosperous one. Textile Industry continued to flourish in the city even during the Mughal period. Ahmedabad used to be an exporting hub of textiles - cotton and silk goods used to be exported to the Middle East and Europe. It continues to be known for its textile mills and is often called the 'Manchester of the East'. It also happens to be an important religious

You will find ample scope for education and career opportunities in Ahmedabad. It is considered to be one of the important centres of education. One will find several premier educational institutes in Ahmedabad, notably the Indian Institute of Management (IIM, Ahmedabad). The city has also got several industries and manufacturing plants and so also many IT MNC companies. You will also find several options for food, sight-seeing and shopping throughout the city in good measure. One of the best occasions to see the city in its lively avatar is the International Kite Festival that is held on the day of of Makar Sankranti.

If we talk about connectivity, the city is well connected by rail, roads and airways with all important cities in India as well as with the interior parts in the city. The Gujarat state transport buses ply their buses to all the nook and corners in the city. Also much unlike the one in New Delhi, the Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) in Ahmedabad is a huge success which gives a dedicated corridor for the CNG buses to ply in the city. Wide roads, several flyovers, lush greenery and minimal traffic congestion add to the city's beauty as much as the glitzy malls and multiplexes.

In the last few years, Ahmedabad has become a model for urban development not just in India but also around the world. Thus in 2012, Ahmedabad was chosen by the Times of India as the best city to live in India edging past Pune, Mumbai and Delhi in a survey and understandably so. The city has undergone a massive makeover, thanks to Narendra Modiji. He undertook several projects in the city when he used to be the Chief Minister of the state, to give it a facelift because of which today the city resembles a world class city. When it comes to physical and civic infrastructure, Ahmedabad ranks among the best.


The city is a beautiful place to visit. It has been more than three years now since I last visited Ahmedabad but given an option to choose a city to spend the rest of my life, I would blindly choose Ahmedabad. It had given me some very beautiful and fond memories.

P.S.: Image courtesy: http://www.narendramodi.in/janmarg-transforming-ahmedabads-public-transit-system-4938

0 comments:

Post a Comment